All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
An exciting new opportunity has emerged for a Composites Technician to contribute to the smooth running of the department by exercising effective control and create high quality components vital to the construction of Gilmour Space innovative designs. Ensuring effectively communicating with all team members to ensure duties are performed to the highest standards in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space production schedules, policies, and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities:
- Trim and finish composite and composite assemblies
- Assemble structures including setup, bonding, and fastener applications
- Repair composite defects
- Align parts and secure in place using clecos or tooling / hand clamps
- Shim and/or trim parts as required
- Drill, ream, countersink full size holes in parts / assemblies, in proper sequence and to correct size
- Set countersinking tools to proper depth as required
- Disassemble parts and deburr holes using deburring tools, and files to prepare for installation of fasteners
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in line with company policies, procedures, and legislative requirements
- Inspect work after completion of each operation in job and / or completed job to ensure it is completed in line with engineering requirements
- Develop standard operating procedures for frequently performed composite manufacturing processes
- Develop and communicate timelines for the fabrication and integration of composite structures
- Work with Engineering to design and manufacture jigs and tooling to support the efficient manufacture of composite parts
- Support filament winding activities as required to ensure on-time delivery of Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessels
- Ensures that the leadership team and stakeholders are kept informed of critical path progress of plans and any variations
- Other duties as requested by Management
Skills and Experience:
- Trade qualification in engineering, fabrication or similar
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar role
- The ability to work independently and part of teams.
- Strong Mechanical aptitude
- Proficient with composite tools such as Prepreg and wet lay-up
- Extensive knowledge on aluminum, steel, composites, and plastic repairs
- Ability to manufacture on panels, bonded surfaces, cables, and tubing
- Sound ability to read and adhere to details project specifications
- Experience with design software: OnShape, SOLIDWORKS etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Industry experience preferred
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees' terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.