All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
An exciting new opportunity has emerged for a Lead Welder to support the Manufacturing Manager to ensure the smooth running of the manufacturing department. You will document and communicate across all stakeholders in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Develop and evaluate welding procedures
- Assist with the tooling and fixturing designs required for weld operation
- General welding, cutting, and fabrication equipment knowledge, theory, application, maintenance, and testing
- Base material and welding material selection
- Control of production weld quality
- Application of welding codes and standards
- Personnel management and supervision, including mentorship of junior welders
- Enforce site and personnel safety
- Review and edit documentation, including weld procedures and record keeping
- Responsible for planning and scheduling work, assigning work, and assessing completed work
- Provide leadership, motivation, and direction in the day to day running of the fabrication team, ensuring it is managed effectively by setting clear targets/KPI’s and monitoring these in line with expectations
- To manage performance of the team, ensuring that any shortfalls in performance are managed and reported to the Manufacturing Manager
- Ensure toolbox meetings are conducted in line with Gilmour Space requirements. Minutes of meeting should be taken with items raised, actioned in timely manner
- Ensure employees work in line with company policies and procedures
- To complete Performance Appraisals in line with Gilmour Space policy and procedures
- To ensure that the team receive adequate training and development necessary to meet the needs of the business
Skills and Experience:
- Trade qualified Aerospace welder
- 5+ years of gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), and gas metal arc welding (GMAW) experience in an Aerospace environment
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Experience managing a small team
- Ability to interpret drawings and weld symbols
- Knowledge of welding standards, AWS D17.1, AS 3992
- Aluminum gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) and gas metal arc welding (GMAW) experience
- Capable of cutting, polishing, and etching weld test samples
- Experience with Inconel welding and fabrication
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees' terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.