All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
The Manufacturing Engineering department is responsible for translating all aspects of Gilmour Space Programs into high-quality products and must continually deliver to aggressive timelines to keep these programs on track and hitting milestones. The Manufacturing Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a team of multi-disciplinary Manufacturing Engineers responsible for development and delivery of all aspects of Gilmour Space manufacturing processes. In this dynamic and rewarding position, this person will be required to develop a continuous improvement culture that drives results based on safety, delivery, and cost metrics. This individual must document and communicate across teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Lead and manage the Manufacturing Engineering department supporting multiple programs across Gilmour Space to meet safety, quality, delivery, and cost targets
- Lead and promote hands-on engineering and collaboration between the design teams and the manufacturing organisation as Gilmour Space works to iterate on designs and ramp into the manufacturing phase
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in design for manufacturability, design for testability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, quality control, etc.
- Lead the supply chain development for all manufacturing components and materials
- Manufacturing equipment, machinery and material selection
- Manufacturing tooling design and validation
- Prepare, review and maintain engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including manufacturing processes, standards, assembly procedures, test procedures, standard operating procedures, bills of materials, suitable alternate parts lists and mechanical drawings
- Update and approve designs when necessary and authorised in response to manufacturing issues, parts/material obsolescence, and system requirement changes
- Champion continuous improvement efforts of established product to reduce issues, decrease manufacturing time, and lower costs
- Lead structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Champion a culture of quality, including fostering an environment of process rigor, integrity, peer accountability, and employee ownership of quality.
- Meet aggressive and dynamic production schedules to keep downstream work-centres fulfilled
- Responsible for assessing and forecasting headcount needs of the department, and vetting the appropriate skill sets needed for new hires
- Think creatively and question the status quo while following documentation and maintaining prescribed quality standards
- Develop, initiate, and enforce system policies and procedures in a fair manner such that accountability is created, and your team can grow strong as a group
- Other duties as requested by Management
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Aerospace, Structural Engineering
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Manufacturing, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Structural Engineering
- 5+ years of experience working within manufacturing engineering a professional setting (excluding internships)
- 3+ years’ experience with CAD designing parts and assemblies (Solid works preferred, Inventor, CATIA etc.)
- Demonstrated professional leadership experience of direct reports
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Demonstrated record of high performance
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbally and written) with technicians, supervisors, engineers, and any other production support departments
- Experience with setting targets and expectations, and then working with a team to reach these targets, and ability to track progress
- Highly driven individual with great attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills with proven results
- Safety-focused mindset
- Experience delivering positive and constructive feedback to individuals
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments in a fast-paced work environment.
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees' terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.