All Orbits, All Planets™ – Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Composites Technician to contribute to the smooth running of the department by exercising effective control and create quality components vital to the construction of Gilmour Space innovative designs. You will be ensuring you are effectively communicating with all team members to ensure duties are performed to the highest standards in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space production schedules, policies, and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position.
- Trim and finish composite parts and assemblies
- Assemble structures including setup, bonding, and fastener applications
- Repair composite defects
- Use tooling holes, pilot holes, or by hand (as required), per drawing or tooling instructions
- Align parts and secure in place using clecos or tooling/hand clamps
- Check for good edge margins and alignment
- Shim and/or trim parts as required
- Select drill bits, reamers and/or countersinking tools for pilot and full-size holes
- Locate, drill pilot holes using drill motor and proper size drill bit(s)
- Drill, ream, countersink full size holes in parts/assemblies, in proper sequence and to correct size using drill motor
- Set countersinking tools to proper depth as required
- Disassemble parts and deburr holes using chip chasers, deburring tools, and files to prepare for installation of fasteners
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Install bushings into housings using arbor press and/or hydraulic puller
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing
- Shim and/or trim parts as required
- Develop standard operating procedures for frequently performed composite manufacturing processes
- Develop and communicate timelines for the fabrication and integration of composite structures
- Work with Engineering to design and manufacture jigs and tooling to support the efficient manufacture of composite parts
- Support filament winding activities as required to ensure on-time delivery of Composite Overwrapped Pressure Vessels
- Work with Engineering to develop and execute tests to confirm that composite components meet design specifications
- Ensures that the leadership team and stakeholders are kept informed of critical path progress of plans and any variations
- Work with the Human Resources team to grow the Gilmour Space team as required
- Other duties as requested by Management
Skills and Experience
- Level 3 Trade qualification, Composites, or similar trade
- 2+ years of experience using hands tools in the aerospace, manufacturing, marine or automotive industry
- Must have experience performing composite fabrication and assembly
- The ability to work independently and part of teams.
- Strong Mechanical aptitude and familiarity with the proper usage of mechanics hand tools & power tools
- Composite material and process development experience
- Experience in aircraft/aerospace assembly desirable
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.