Want to join us?
Want to be part of a Board that is focused on a future where gender equality is a reality?
YWCA Australia is currently inviting candidates to nominate for the 2021 election process.
Three director positions are available, at least one of which must be filled by a Young Woman, an individual who identifies as a woman and is aged 30 or under at the time of appointment. Four of our directors are standing down at this AGM and three of these are standing for re-election.
What we’re looking for
Please address each of the below Selection Criteria in your cover letter. These skills may have been gained through life, work or education experiences and may still be in progress.
- Intersectional Feminism: We would like to understand your interpretation and hear about your experience in applying intersectional feminist principles and practices.
- Sector skills: with reference to YWCA’s YeS 2026 Strategy, experience within the sectors in which YWCA operates, including delivery of young women and women’s housing and support services and development and delivery of young women’s leadership pathways.
- Strategy: ability to understand and review strategy and operate at a strategic level and experience in strategy development and implementation including change management.
- Finance: experience managing and/or overseeing financial performance and reporting of an organization and ability to understand and apply accounting and financial principles and interpret and apply accounting standards.
- Risk Management: experience in developing, implementing and monitoring risk management systems and ability to identify key risks and mitigating actions.
YWCA is seeking candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We strongly encourage Young Women, non-binary individuals and Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people to apply for these positions.
The YWCA Australia Board is a skills-based board currently made up of 12 Directors, 60% of whom are elected by the Members with the balance being appointed by the Board. We are constitutionally required to have 1/3 of our Directors as Young Women and seek to exceed this target. Directors of the YWCA Australia Board are appointed as directors of three companies limited by guarantee, YWCA Australia and its subsidiaries, YWCA Housing and YWCA National Housing. Each entity is a charity registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission. There are two Board established Committees:
- Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
- Nominations Committee
As a Director you may be asked to join one of those Committees to offer your expertise or as a learning experience.
Applicants must be eligible to be appointed as a Director within the requirements of the Constitution (including be an Ordinary or Life Member of YWCA Australia), the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (including being 18 or above) and the ACNC Act.
If you are not already a member of YWCA Australia – join here for free.
How to apply:
- Create a Cover Letter setting out why you wish to be appointed to the YWCA Australia Board and address each Selection Criteria individually.
- Attach your Cover Letter and resume
Nomination period closes 22 August 2021.