All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
An exciting new opportunity has emerged for a Lead Welding Supervisor to support the Manufacturing Manager to ensure the smooth running of the manufacturing department. You will document and communicate across all stakeholders in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Develop and evaluate welding procedures
- Assist with the tooling and fixturing designs required for weld operation
- General welding, cutting, and fabrication equipment knowledge, theory, application, maintenance, and testing
- Base material and welding material selection
- Control of production weld quality
- Application of welding codes and standards
- Personnel management and supervision, including mentorship of junior welders
- Enforce site and personnel safety
- Review and edit documentation, including weld procedures and record keeping
- Responsible for planning and scheduling work, assigning work, and assessing completed work
- Provide leadership, motivation, and direction in the day to day running of the fabrication team, ensuring it is managed effectively by setting clear targets/KPI’s and monitoring these in line with expectations
- To manage performance of the team, ensuring that any shortfalls in performance are managed and reported to the Manufacturing Manager
- Ensure toolbox meetings are conducted in line with Gilmour Space requirements. Minutes of meeting should be taken with items raised, actioned in timely manner
- Ensure employees work in line with company policies and procedures
- To complete Performance Appraisals in line with Gilmour Space policy and procedures
- To ensure that the team receive adequate training and development necessary to meet the needs of the business
- Trade qualified welding Supervisor
- 5+ years of gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW), and gas metal arc welding (GMAW) experience in a controlled environment
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role
- Must be capable of obtaining and maintaining an Australian Government NV Level 1 Security Clearance
Skills and Experience:
- Experience managing a small team
- Ability to interpret drawings and weld symbols
- Knowledge of welding standards, AWS D17.1, AS 3997
- Aluminum gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) and gas metal arc welding (GMAW) experience
- Capable of cutting, polishing, and etching weld test samples
- Experience with Inconel and Aluminium welding and fabrication
- Leadership, motivational and/or negotiating skill. Anticipates and responds to the needs of others
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution skills
- Proven Ability to prioritize and manage work demands and deliver outcomes
- Self-motivated, results oriented with a high level of attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety, quality assurance, continuous improvement, and environmental management
Due to the research and development nature of Gilmour Space Technology business, the incumbent will be faced with the challenge of operating in a dynamic environment. The incumbent must be sensitive to cultural team diversities and Gilmour Space Technologies requirements when resolving situations that demand solutions.
Views oneself as a reflection of Gilmour Space by following through on commitments and accepting ownership in the position to which they are employed. Takes personal responsibility for own actions and decisions made, including the impact of such actions/decisions across the organization. Ensures that the leadership team and stakeholders are kept informed of non-conformances and any violations of company processes, procedures, or legislative requirements. Acts in a way that demonstrates deep personal integrity and serves as a positive example and role model to others within the Gilmour Space team.
Successful performance requires the incumbent to be available to work varied shift times and patterns dictated by business peaks and troughs (including weekends and public holidays on occasion). The incumbent will have the ability to handle pressure & cope with sudden surges in work volume.
Performance of all duties in a timely and efficient manner, whilst following established company policy and projecting a favorable image of Gilmour Space to achieve objectives, public recognition, and acceptance.
Performance indicators will include both quantitative & qualitative measures. Indicators may be business based (e.g., departmental profitability, budget control) or individual based (e.g., performance as a leader as assessed by superiors, peers and subordinates’ changes in employee commitment, job satisfaction & motivation).
Performance expectations and indicators generally will be defined on an annual basis. A formal performance appraisal will be conducted annually or as determined by the Manager.
Workplace Health and Safety:
Supervisors/Managers are to undertake effective occupational health & safety measures to ensure compliance with WHS legislation. Performance criteria is to include but is not limited to:
- Disseminate Workplace Health and Safety information to staff relevant to the specific work area
- Ensure that employees have the information, instruction, training, and supervision to work safely
- Immediately advising the Risk, Health and Safety Officer of issues relating to WHS in their department and to continually review and make recommendations on ways in which Gilmour Space can improve WHS within their department
- Assist where required in providing/ensuring induction and refresher training is provided to ensure ability of staff to discharge allocated Workplace Health & Safety responsibilities including hazards within the workplace, safe operating procedures, use and maintenance of PPE and safety equipment and emergency response procedures
- Ensuring all incidents / accidents are recorded and reported and that feedback on actions taken is communicated to employees in their department.
- Ensuring implementation of corrective action arising from accident/incident or hazard reporting and monitoring to ensure effectiveness.
- Supervise the Workplace health & safety aspects of work undertaken by staff within the work area
- Facilitate consultative processes regarding Workplace health and safety issues between management and staff
- Participating in and monitoring of risk assessments, hazard evaluation and implementation of hazard control measures within their work area as required
- Actively being involved with and promoting a clean and safe working environment
Policies and Procedures:
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees' terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.