All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
An exciting new opportunity has emerged for an Autonomous Control Engineer to design algorithms and implement flight-critical software for rocket systems that will deliver satellites into orbit. You will work with a talented team of engineers to develop, analyse, test and operate launch vehicles, and its subsystems, with the aim of ensuring highly reliable flight.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Design, implement and test innovative Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) systems for launch vehicles. The initial focus of this role is the control systems for the next generation of Gilmour launch vehicles.
- Perform testing and analysis of GNC systems, including Hardware-In-The-Loop (HITL) testing, Monte Carlo analysis, integration testing and unit testing.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary launch vehicle trade-study investigations and design studies that will define launch vehicle requirements and system architectures.
- Derive requirements for GNC systems within the context of full vehicle control performance, including the setting of bandwidth requirements.
- Analyse launch vehicle trajectories, flight stability and algorithm performance.
- Assist in developing verification and validation procedures to ensure software products perform as specified to meet system and subsystem requirements.
- Support post-flight data review and analyses for the continuous improvement of design predictions.
- Support launch vehicle ground test, launch and mission operations.
- Other duties as requested by Management.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s (B.S.) degree in Control Systems, Mechatronics, Electronic, Aerospace / Aeronautical Engineering or relevant STEM degree.
- 2+ years of experience with the design, implementation, tuning and testing of control algorithms.
- Proficient in MATLAB for prototyping and testing of GNC algorithms.
- Must be capable of obtaining and clearing a NV Level 1 Security Clearance.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
We recognise you may not meet all of the below, but don’t let that deter you. We are always looking for hard workers to join our team, so what are you waiting for? Let’s send Australia to space!
- Experience with the design and implementation of control algorithms in C++.
- Demonstrated experience with designing and implementing real-time systems.
- Demonstrated experience with using sensors and actuators.
- Experience with Matlab autocoding.
- Experience with using SIMULINK for complex system development.
- Strong understanding of orbital mechanics, modelling and simulation and software development best practices.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment.
- Have a passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees' terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.