All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
Working in collaboration across engineering teams to design mechanisms, structures, and integration of sub-systems. In addition to design of mechanisms and structures, the Mechanical Engineer will verify hardware meets requirements through analysis, test, or both. You will be capable of working independently to develop test setups for verification activities and work as part of integrated teams to deliver objectives. You will document and communicate across teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Design and verify mechanical and structural systems to meet customer and Gilmour requirements for Gilmour rocket vehicles.
- Utilize the full spectrum of the design, analysis, test, and manufacturing tools to create efficient structures and components.
- Ownership of product delivery timeline through conception, design, assembly, and launch.
- Develop test plans for parts through development, qualification, and acceptance testing.
- Review specifications and other data to develop mechanical layouts.
- Analyse and interpret data collected during testing.
- Ability to problem solve and understand complex problems; incumbent must be able to resolve situations that demand solutions.
- Other duties as requested by Management.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Mechatronics, or Structural Engineering.
- 2+ years of experience with mechanical, electromechanical, or structural design and analysis in a professional setting (excluding internships).
- 2+ years’ experience with CAD designing parts and assemblies
(Solid works preferred, Inventor, CATIA etc.), or
- 2+ years’ experience with at least one commercial FEA or Multiphysics simulation package (ANSYS preferred or NASTRAN, ABAQUS, CFD codes, etc.)
- 2+ years’ hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly, integration and/or testing.
- Current Negative Vetting 2 Security Clearance is preferred, but we are open to the right candidate with a Current Negative Vetting 1 (must be willing to upgrade)
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- 3+ years’ experience of professional experience in mechanical design and analysis
- 2+ years of hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems, preferably as a lead
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organizational, communication and documentation skills
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.