Lead Propulsion Engineer
All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
To lead a talented team of engineers through the vision, design, development, and production of launch vehicles and complex systems. As an expert in Propulsion Engineering, you will develop in-house capability and know-how to design, manufacture, and test liquid bi-propellant, hybrid rocket engines, electric pump feed systems, and all necessary sub-systems. Lead and work across multi-disciplinary teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Lead and manage a team of engineers developing complex propulsion systems.
- Provide expert direction, mentorship and support of the development, work allocation of the supporting junior team.
- Ownership of product delivery timeline through conception, design, assembly, and launch.
- Fluid and mechanical design of test stands for hybrid and liquid rocket engines.
- Develop CAD models and drawings of test stands and rocket engine components.
- Analyse experimental hot fire test data.
- Troubleshoot systems and root cause analysis.
- Lead qualification tests of propulsion systems.
- Ballistic simulations and simulation tool development for development of orbital class motor.
- Support design of catalyst packs, bi-propellant liquid rockets and hybrid rocket motor case design.
- Develop written procedures and checklist for orchestrating testing operations.
- Develop written procedures for manufacturing test components.
- Lead the assembly and fabrication of motor components, when required.
- Other duties as requested by Management.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelors (BS) degree in an Engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in propulsion, mechanical, fluid system design and analysis in a professional setting (excluding internships).
- 4+ years’ experience with CAD designing parts and assemblies
(Onshape preferred, Inventor, CATIA etc.), or
- 4+ years’ experience with at least one commercial FEA or Multiphysics simulation package (ANSYS preferred or NASTRAN, ABAQUS, CFD codes, etc.)
- 4+ years’ hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly, integration, and testing.
- Current Negative Vetting 2 Security Clearance is preferred, but we are open to the right candidate with a Current Negative Vetting 1 (must be willing to upgrade)
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of standards concerning the design of high-pressure fluid systems.
- Ability to manage large assembly models and drawings.
- Solid understanding and application of GD&T.
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers.
- Creative problem solver that can bring multiple disciplines together.
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven ability to prioritise and manage work demands and deliver outcomes.
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organisational and documentation skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety, quality assurance, continuous improvement, and environmental management.
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.
You have successfully applied for this job!