Junior Software Engineer (Satellites)
All Orbits, All Planets - Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
Come help design our satellites and space missions! Be part of the team that is building Australia’s first sovereign 100kg-class satellite product, and the missions based upon it. No day is the same and you will be making Australian history!
Duties and Responsibilities:
A satellite systems engineer is the technical "glue" of a multidisciplinary engineering design team. They keep a high-level view of the space mission and communicate with specialist engineers to make sure that all the aspects of the satellite work together as expected and achieve the top-level mission objectives. Below is a list of the usual tasks you would be expected to perform, but it is not an exhaustive list.
- Assist senior systems engineers:
- to perform top level mission feasibility analyses
- develop the mission concept of operations
- develop the satellite system design, including make/buy trades for satellite subsystem modules
- develop the satellite system level budgets (power, mass, data, cost etc.) and keep them updated as the satellite design matures over the mission lifecycle
- write satellite design review material for preliminary and critical design reviews
- develop the integration and system level test plan for each mission
- Assist Assembly, Integration and Test (AIT) engineers:
- perform satellite integration (yes, actual hands-on satellite building!)
- perform integrated level satellite testing
- Perform early satellite operations, before handing over to the mission operations team.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Technical degree / diploma in a relevant field (e.g. Aerospace/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics etc.).
- Strong computer user fundamental skills: Microsoft Office, gSuite etc.
- Must be capable of obtaining and maintaining an Australian Government NV Level 1 Security Clearance
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
If you have one or more of the following, it makes you a stronger candidate:
- 1-2 years’ experience in an engineering field, preferably high criticality like Aerospace, defence, medical, mining, automotive, including internship or personal projects.
- Experience leading a small engineering team to design and build a prototype product
- Demonstrable understanding of space satellite systems, i.e. attitude determination and control systems, radiation effects on electronics, power systems etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of orbit dynamics.
- Experience with Space-specific software tools like AGI STK, Valispace, gPredict or NASA WorldWind
- Demonstrable understanding of common applications of LEO spacecraft
- Experience performing early mission feasibility analyses ("Phase 0 / Phase A studies)
- High level software development (e.g. Python, Matlab, Java etc.)
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution skills
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage work demands and deliver outcomes
- Self-motivated, results oriented with a high level of attention to detail
Policies and Procedures:
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.
You have successfully applied for this job!