Lead Propulsion Engineer (Scramjet)
Hypersonix is Australia’s leading aerospace engineering, design and build company, specialising in hypersonic technology and scramjet engines with the potential to change the space and aviation industries for good. Our goal is to provide affordable access to green aerospace technologies and systems, to shape a smarter, sustainable future . . . and we need your help!
As Lead Propulsion Engineer at Hypersonix, you will be responsible for leading the design and validation of our hypersonic vehicle's scramjet propulsion system. You will be specifically involved with the aerodynamic and thermal aspects of the propulsion system and maintenance of the performance of the scramjet engine during hypersonic flight. You will work closely with other engineering teams to optimize the performance of our propulsion systems and ensure they meet all safety and regulatory requirements. Additionally, you will perform simulations and tests to ensure the reliability and performance of our systems.
The role is responsible for defining the propulsion system development processes and tools for the project to meet the cost, schedule and quality goals. While leading and mentoring of junior engineers is expected, this is a primarily hands-on role.
- Design and development of scramjet propulsion systems for hypersonic vehicles
- Identify, research, and test propulsion system technologies for hypersonic vehicles
- Simulation and testing of propulsion systems
- Collaboration with other engineering teams to ensure system integration
- Participate in product development, testing, and production.
- Support flight test planning and execution, and flight test data analysis of scramjet engines.
- Identifying and mitigating thermal challenges that arise during hypersonic flight
- Participating in the design and development of scramjet propulsion systems
- Supervision and co-ordination of new and established propulsion engineers and sub-contracted work (as required)
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's or Masters degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in scramjet propulsion system design, testing and validation
- Strong understanding of propulsion principles
- Strong leadership, problem-solving skills and ability to work in a team environment
Desired Skills and Experience
Hypersonix recognises that you may not meet all of the items in the below list, and that’s ok! If you are a hard-working problem solver who wants to change the world, we encourage you to apply for this role as long as you meet a few of the Desired Skills and Experience.
- A passion for advancing humanity towards ambitious goals
- Strong work ethic and willingness to put in extra effort to deliver amazing results
- Demonstrated exceptional ability in your area of expertise
- PhD in scramjet technology
- Experience with flight testing of hypersonic vehicles
- Experience with simulation and testing of propulsion systems
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary teams
- Experience with design for production
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high stress environments
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- RPEQ (or willingness and eligibility to apply)
To apply online, please click on the Apply link.
You have successfully applied for this job!