- Join the YWCA Australia Board as an observer for 12 months
- Volunteer opportunity for YWCA members aged 18-30
- Develop governance skills in a supportive, feminist environment
ABOUT YWCA AUSTRALIA
YWCA Australia is a feminist not-for-profit organisation focused on improving gender equality for women, young women and girls. Together we challenge the systems, structures and policies that act as barriers to women, especially young women, achieving their full potential.
For 140 years we have stood for gender equality in all communities, transforming the lives of individual women, young women and girls. Cheered on by a fiercely passionate and supportive team, we shout loud and proud and our voices echo around the world in a global feminist movement.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The YWCA Australia Board Traineeship program offers two young women the opportunity to join the board of YWCA Australia as an observer for a 12-month period, commencing on 1st July 2023 and concluding on 30th June 2024. As a Trainee you will participate in discussions and governance activities, without the duties and responsibilities that apply to director positions. This is a great opportunity to develop practical and strategic governance skills in a professional, supportive and feminist environment.
Applications are open to all young women members aged between 18-30.
Not yet a member of YWCA? Join here for free: https://www.ywca.org.au/join/
This position is a learning opportunity for young women to develop their interest and experiences in governance. We actively encourage young women with diverse lived experiences to apply. This may take the form of educational, work or personal experiences that you believe will be relevant and useful to the role. YWCA welcomes applications from all backgrounds and identities, including those who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, living with a disability, LGBTQIA+ or from a culturally and linguistically diverse background.
This is a national role and applications are encouraged from all States and Territories, including rural, regional and remote areas.
This is a volunteer role and YWCA will cover the costs of travel to in-person meetings.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND BENEFITS
As a Board Trainee you will:
- Undertake a comprehensive induction process, between May-June 2023, and be paired with a ‘buddy’ on the YWCA Australia board to provide additional support and guidance.
- Prepare for and attend all YWCA Australia board meetings (both in-person, where COVID permits, and online meetings) for the 12-month traineeship period. YWCA will cover the costs associated with attending meetings.
- Join one of the board sub-committees and attend all associated meetings.
- Receive a full scholarship to complete the Foundations for Not-For-Profit Directors course (this may be in-person or online and is estimated to be a 1.5-day commitment). This course covers governance for directors, finance for directors and strategy & risk for directors.
- Undertake additional professional development opportunities alongside the Board.
- Attend the YWCA Australia Annual General Meeting in November 2023 to share traineeship experiences with members.
- Enthusiastically represent YWCA Australia at events and meetings, sharing your traineeship experience with other young women and stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Company Secretary for the duration of the Traineeship, undertaking additional trainings and tasks where required.
- Any other responsibilities as agreed with the Company Secretary
- Attendance at approximately seven board meetings per year. This includes three meetings to be held face-to-face in Sydney (where COVID permits) which are 4-6 hours in length, and four meetings to be held virtually which are 2-3 hours in length.
- Attendance at the Annual General Meeting in November 2023 which may be located regionally.
- Participation on a Board established Committee. Committees generally meet quarterly for approximately two hours and meetings are held virtually.
- Additional time to adequately prepare for all meetings throughout the year.
- Completion of a YWCA board induction process prior to commencing in the role (approximately 15-20 hours).
- Completion of the Foundations for Not-For-Profit Directors Course (1.5 days)
EXPERIENCE, ATTITUDE AND ELIGIBILITY
You will have a burgeoning interest in feminist leadership and governance, a keen desire to experience it first hand and a fierce commitment to the YWCA vision and values. You will have an enthusiastic willingness to prepare for and engage with all trainings, special events and meetings (including the induction process and completion of the Not-For-Profit Directors course).
In order to be considered for the Board Traineeship, the following eligibility criteria must be met:
- Be an ordinary member of YWCA Australia, YWCA Canberra or YWCA Hunter, aged 18-30 at time of appointment (July 1st, 2023).
- Candidates must not be a current staff member of YWCA Australia, YWCA Canberra or YWCA Hunter, or have been a staff member in the previous 12 months.
If you’re not already a member of YWCA Australia, join for free here: https://www.ywca.org.au/join/
Research shows that men apply for positions when they meet only 60% of the qualifications, but women tend to only apply if they meet 100%. If you believe you could bring your passion to this role and excel, we encourage you to apply. We consider a broad array of candidates across various experiences, backgrounds and workplaces, both formal and informal.
HOW TO APPLY
Please get your Resume (or CV!) together and attach a Cover Letter.
The Cover Letter needs to address the below Selection Criteria. We suggest around 250 words for each.
- Tell us why feminist leadership and governance are important.
- Tell us how your experiences to date have prepared you to take on this board trainee position.
- How will you use the skills gained through this experience?
Looking for tips and tricks to crafting the perfect resume and Cover Letter? Check out YWCA’s step-by-step guide to creating a feminist application: (https://www.ywca.org.au/article/part-one-empower-your-resume-a-step-by-step-guide-for-a-feminist-job-application/).
Join our bold, inclusive and innovative team to make a real difference - lead the change.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: 11pm Thursday 30th March 2023
Any questions please contact email@example.com
You have successfully applied for this job!